This may be the most exciting readathon I’ve ever contemplated participation in. Based on videogames, it rewards finishing TBR books with EXP and HP points. It sounds so ridiculously fun that there was no way to resist.
Action Plan (a.k.a. TBR)
You pick one character (to start with) and follow its path on the board, earning EXP and gaining HP along the way. I will post the instructions regarding EXP & HP after my ambitious TBR for the main character and side quests. For the full info, check out Aentee’s post at Read at Midnight.
My TBR will be ambitious to say the least. I intend to start with the Mage pathway and then progress through the other main character quests, picking up side quests here and there. Also it may change but I’m pretty excited about this TBR so here goes.
- (Mage/Rogue) One Word Title
- Lexicon by Max Barry
- (Mage) Contains Magic
- Fire Boy by Sami Shah
- (Mage) Based on Mythology
- Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
- (Mage) Set in a Different World
- Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
- (Mage/Knight) First in a Series
- Air Awakens by Elise Kova
- (Knight) Verb in the Title
- Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue
- (Knight) Weapon on its Cover
- Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
- (Knight) Red Cover
- The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
- (Knight/Bard) Has a TV/Movie Adaptation
- Alan Turing: The Enigma by Andrew Hodges
- (Bard) Fairy Tale Retelling
- Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
- (Bard) Striking Typography
- The Collector by John Fowles
- (Bard) Translated from Another Language
- The General in His Labyrinth by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- (Bard/Rogue) A Banned Book
- Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
- (Rogue) Cover with a Partially Obscured Face
- Ache by Eliza Henry Jones
- (Rogue) <500 Ratings on Goodreads
- Please Do Not Disturb by Robert Glancy
- (Rogue) Published by a Small Press
- Lightspeed Magazine Issue 82 by John Joseph Adams
- Potions: Concocted by 2+ Authors
- We Are All Stardust edited by Stefan Klein
- Multiplayer: Buddy Read a Book
- N/A (not sure I’ll get to this side quest)
- Grind: A Book with 500+ Pages
- 1Q48 by Haruki Murakami
- Time Warp: Set in Either the Part or the Future
- The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley
- Open World: Free Choice
- Will choose during Quest
- Respawn: Previously DNF’d
- The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath by Sylvia Plath
- Expansion: Companion (Sequel?) Novel/Short Story
- Grass for His Pillow by Lian Hearn
- Mini-Game: Graphic Novel
- Fables Vol. 3 by Bill Willingham
- Animal Companion: Referencing an Animal in the Title
- H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald
This is copied from Aentee’s sign up post.
- All characters will start off with 10 Experience Points (EXP), and each book (in any format: physical, eBook, or audiobook) they complete for the Quest Board will add another +10 EXP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give +5 EXP.
- The exception is for books written by marginalised authors. These books will earn your characters bonus EXP. For each book completed for the Quest, you will gain +20 EXP.
- Adventurers who complete their character’s quest before the challenge period will earn a +50 EXP. You will earn an additional +30 EXP for any additional character quest you complete after that.
- Because I am not interested in employing polynomials or convoluted equations for a reading challenge, I’m going to go ahead and say your character will level up with every +50 EXP. They all start at Level 1.
This is also copied from Aentee’s sign up post.
- All characters begin with 10 Health Points (HP). Every 10 pages you read during the Quest will give you +1HP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give you +1HP every 20 pages.
- Tweeting on #TheReadingQuest hashtag (with meaningful tweets about your current reads, roleplay with your current character, book recommendations) will earn you +1HP each. You can have a maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions
- Photos of your #TheReadingQuest books or TBR pile will earn you 1HPeach. This contributes towards the maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions mentioned above.
- We will catalogue the points at the end via a masterpost, and find out who The Quest Champion is! This requires all participants interested in the prizes to link up in the Masterpost at the conclusion of the Quest!
This quest is a decently long one, running from Sunday 13th August through till Sunday 10th September. I will be updating on here weekly, and more often on Twitter (@foliomusings).
So initiate training, pack your daggers, we’re going on a quest.